Adobe chicken with milk kefir is a delicious and tangy twist on a classic chicken dish. Here's how to make it:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup milk kefir
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine the milk kefir, minced garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper. Mix the marinade well.
2. Place the chicken breasts or thighs in a resealable plastic bag or a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring it's well coated. Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for the best flavor. The longer you marinate, the more flavorful the chicken will be.
3. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
4. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken, one piece at a time, allowing excess marinade to drip off. Sear each piece for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they develop a golden-brown color.
5. After searing, transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
6. Remove the skillet from the oven and let the chicken rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, keeping the chicken moist and flavorful.
7. Serve the adobe chicken with milk kefir hot, garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired. You can also serve it with rice, quinoa, or a side salad for a complete meal.
Enjoy your tangy and flavorful adobe chicken with milk kefir!