Kefir milk adds a unique tangy twist to the classic flan. Here's how to make a delicious Kefir Milk Flan:
**For the Caramel:**
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
**For the Flan:**
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup kefir milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
**Making the Caramel:**
1. In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and water. Cook over medium heat without stirring. Swirl the pan occasionally to ensure even caramelization.
2. Continue cooking until the sugar turns a deep amber color. This can take about 10-12 minutes. Be careful not to burn it.
3. Once the caramel has reached the desired color, quickly pour it into a flan mold or individual ramekins, swirling to coat the bottom evenly. Be cautious as the caramel is extremely hot. Allow it to cool and harden.
**Making the Flan:**
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a blender, combine the eggs, kefir milk, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Blend until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
3. Carefully pour the flan mixture into the caramel-coated flan mold or ramekins.
4. Cover the mold or ramekins with aluminum foil.
5. Place the flan mold or ramekins in a larger baking dish. Fill the larger dish with hot water until it reaches about halfway up the sides of the flan mold or ramekins. This creates a water bath, ensuring even and gentle cooking.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50-60 minutes or until the flan is set. You can check the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; if it comes out clean, the flan is ready.
7. Remove the flan from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature.
8. Once the flan has cooled, refrigerate it for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best. This will help the flan set and enhance its flavor.
9. To serve, run a knife around the edges of the flan to loosen it. Place a serving plate on top of the mold or ramekin, then quickly and carefully flip it over to release the flan. The caramel sauce will flow over the top.
10. Serve your Kefir Milk Flan cold, and enjoy the unique combination of creamy flan with a tangy kefir twist.
Enjoy your homemade Kefir Milk Flan!